What Are the Symptoms of a Heart Attack? When you think of a heart attack, you may think of what you see in the movies—a man clutching his chest, suddenly in intense pain. But that’s not always the reality. While chest pain is a common symptom of heart attack, there are many others. Women, in particular, are more likely to experience more unusual symptoms of heart attack.
Heart Attack Symptoms
- Chest discomfort
- Discomfort or pain in the arms, shoulders, neck or abdomen
- Shortness of breath
- Extreme fatigue
- Excessive sweating
- Nausea or vomiting
Can a Heart Attack Be Prevented?While risk factors like family history and age cannot be changed, many risk factors are lifestyle-related. That means you can take steps to protect your heart.
Ways to Protect the Heart
- Eat a healthy diet filled with fruits and vegetables.
- Limit sodium, saturated fat and added sugar.
- Get regular exercise.
- Maintain normal blood pressure.
- Manage chronic conditions like diabetes.
- Reduce stress.
- Stop smoking.