How Can I Make Sure My Family Is Safe This Summer? Summer brings plenty of fun and lots of sun, but it also brings a set of unique health hazards. Burns, bug bites and injuries are all common byproducts of summer, if you don’t take precautions. But there are steps you can take to keep your family safe this summer.
Summer Safety Tips
- Wear sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 when outside.
- Apply insect repellent with DEET when outdoors, particularly in a wooded area.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids.
- Seek shade whenever possible.
- Know the signs of heat-related illness and when to seek medical attention.
How Do You Grill Safely?Grilling is another favorite pastime during the summer months—and it also brings safety hazards. Be sure when you’re headed out to grill those burgers that you’re taking precautions so that you and your family members remain safe.
Grill Safety Tips
- Keep your grill at least 10 feet away from your house.
- Have a fire extinguisher handy.
- Regularly clean your grill.
- Have a spray bottle of water nearby.
- Check for gas leaks.
- Do not place decorations near the grill.
- Never leave the grill unattended.