Pulling a muscle is certainly not a fun feeling. It’s initially painful, and it puts you out for an extended period of time. So, how can you properly heal a pulled muscle to get you back on your feet sooner than later?
Our AFC Urgent Care Farragut team provides some helpful answers below, so keep reading!
What Is a Pulled Muscle?
A pulled muscle, or a muscle strain, is the stretching or tearing of muscle fibers. This often happens when the muscle is overstretched or overworked, and it can happen to any muscle on the body, but it’s most common in the lower back, neck, shoulder and hamstring, which is the muscle behind your thigh.
If you aren’t sure if your muscle soreness is a sign of muscle strain, we’ve listed some additional common signs of a pulled muscle below.
Signs of a Pulled Muscle
- Sudden onset of pain
- Limited range of movement
- Bruising or discoloration
- A “knotted-up” feeling
- Muscle spasms
What Can I Do to Heal My Pulled Muscle?
There are three grades of muscle strains: grade one, grade two and grade three. Grades one and two, which bring about symptoms of muscle pain, light swelling and mild bruising, can all be adequately treated at home. A grade three muscle strain happens when the muscle tears all the way through and emits a “pop” sound. You’ll need medical care to heal a grade three muscle strain.
If you are experiencing a grade one or two muscle strain, practice the R.I.C.E. method below to help your muscle heal.
- Rest. Even if your muscle strain is fairly minor, you should avoid physical activity for at least 24 hours.
- Ice. As soon as you feel your muscle or tendon strain, grab an ice pack. Apply ice for 15–20 minutes every two to three hours, and follow this routine for the first few days after your injury.
- Compression. Compressing your strained muscle reduces the swelling.
- Elevation. Elevating your injury above the level of your heart will help to reduce the pain and swelling. If your injury has happened to your back, keep
Do you need medical care for your pulled muscle? If so, don’t hesitate to visit our AFC Urgent Care Farragutcenter today!