Very, very important! Multiple studies have shown that mask-wearing is a vitally important aspect in slowing the spread of COVID-19 even though they can feel like a pain to wear and are uncomfortable at times.
Read on as our team at AFC Urgent Care Farragut explains how masks work and why they’re important to wear.
How Do Masks Work?
Face masks reduce the number of respiratory droplets in the air. When you breathe, potential viral particles are emitted and can stay in the air for up to three hours. When you wear a mask, these viral particles are much better contained.
Reducing the number of respiratory droplets and viral particles in the air is extremely important because it lessens the risk of yourself and others contracting the coronavirus. Additionally, it’s important to wear a mask even if you don’t feel sick, as symptoms of COVID-19 aren’t usually experienced until two to 14 days after exposure to the virus.
Additional Reasons to Mask Up
- Wearing a mask protects those with underlying health conditions and pregnant women from contracting the virus.
- Masking up works to open up the economy by lowering COVID-19 rates.
- Masking up is an important safety precaution when social. distancing is hard to execute.
Are There Masks That Work Better or Worse Than Others?
The type of mask that offers the best protection is the N95 mask. These masks are true to their name, as they filter out 95% of airborne viral particles. These masks are deemed as critical supplies for healthcare workers by the CDC, however, so it’s better to use cloth or surgical masks, which also provide good protection.
If you are considering wearing a face shield instead, the CDC does not advise wearing them as a substitute for a mask. There is currently not enough evidence to support the effectiveness of face shields for source control. Your best call is to mask up while considering the below safety precautions to stay healthy.
Health Precautions to Follow Alongside Wearing a Mask
- Frequently wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- If you don’t have access to soap and water, use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Stay six feet away from others outside the home.
- If you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, stay home.
AFC Urgent Care Farragut believes in the importance of wearing a mask! If you have been feeling under the weather, don’t hesitate to visit us.