Why Do We Need Sleep? Sleep is important for both our mental and physical health. During sleep, our bodies are able to repair our muscles, immune systems and hormones. In addition, sleep can help us to retain information, which is especially important here lately with school back in session!
Benefits of Good Sleep
- Prevents cancer
- Reduces stress
- Reduces inflammation
- Improves alertness
- Improves memory
- Helps you to lose weight
- Lowers risk of depression
How Can I Establish a Sleep Routine?By having a bedtime routine in place, you are better able to relax your mind and body to where you are more easily able to transition from awake to sleep. In addition, relaxing before sleep, such as through massage, relaxing music, reading or meditation, doesn’t just improve your ability to fall asleep, but also your quality of sleep throughout the night.
Ways to Get Better Sleep
- Avoid drinking liquids right before bedtime.
- Exercise regularly, but try to avoid the last few hours before bedtime.
- Sleep on a comfortable pillow, mattress, etc.
- Make the bedroom a cool, dark environment.
- Turn off electronics an hour or so before bedtime.
- Take a relaxing bath or shower before bed.